A microwaved dessert in a mug is the perfect solution when you need warm baked goods, but you don’t want to tempt yourself with a full batch of desserts. And what’s better than coffee cake in a coffee mug if it’s not filled with coffee? Nothing.
I’ve been loving the microwaved mug dessert trend for a couple years now, and if you haven’t tried it yet, now is your time. This coffee cake is cinnamini sweet, (Get it? It’s made with cinnamon, and it’s mini. Okay, you got it.) but it’s not too sweet. You can actually eat this for breakfast without hating yourself, which I did today, and I still love me. (Thanks for telling me that’s okay, Hailee Steinfeld.)
The nice thing about all these recipes is that they’re tiny, and they’re usually made with ingredients you already have in your kitchen. I don’t bake in huge batches too often, but I do have small amounts of these ingredients saved up for emergencies. (Yes, baked good emergencies are real.)
I would suggest you try this cinnamini coffee cake recipe, like tomorrow. Or tonight, so you don’t have a baked good emergency of your own. The original recipe was from Yummy Healthy Easy, and I tweaked it slightly based on the ingredients I already had. I also added some cinnamon and maple syrup to the mix for some extra flavor, but it’s really the topping that makes any coffee cake shine.
As Jen of Yummy Healthy Easy suggested, I added the cinnamon brown sugar topping before baking the mug, but then I also added some after I took it out to get that crunchier texture. The topping you add before baking will get melty and gooey, so it’s a nice mixture.
If you want to be extra healthy, then I would suggest not including the maple syrup or extra toppings. You could also sub the milk out for any soy or nut milk you prefer, and switch up the granulated sugar based on whatever granulated sweetener you prefer.
Like I said, a recipe for me is always about inspiration and figuring out the basics…the fun part comes when you have to make it your own and use what you have to make it work. Then, of course, eating it is always fun too.
Give this one a try, and let me know what you think in the comments section below. And don’t even tell me you don’t have time because it literally takes one minute. Enjoy!
Cinnamini Coffee Cake in a Coffee Mug
- ¼ cup Bisquick mix
- 2 Tbsp. milk (your choice)
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. canola, coconut or vegetable oil
- 1 ½ Tbsp. brown sugar
- ¾ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. maple syrup (optional)
- Lightly spray a microwave-safe mug with cooking spray.
- Add Bisquick, milk, sugar, vanilla, oil and ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon to the mug and mix well.
- In a separate container, mix together 1 Tbsp. brown sugar and ¼ tsp. cinnamon, then sprinkle over the top of the mixture in mug.
- Microwave on high for one minute. Let sit for 30 seconds, then carefully take out of the microwave.
- Add remaining cinnamon and brown sugar mixture on top of the cake. Drizzle over maple syrup if you’re feeling it.
- Devour with your favorite cup of hot coffee, and conquer your day!